Tuesday, July 22, 2014

A promising dairy goat for the Philippines

by Zac Sarian A new goat breed that was introduced barely two years ago promises to be an ideal dairy breed under the tropical conditions in the Philippines. This is the breed called Oberhasli, which has been observed to be more resistant to the hot climate in the country because of its dark red haircoat. This breed was brought in under a program of the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) aimed at augmenting the genetic base of the present breeds in the country. a, GREENER PASTURE Beautiful, young, island-born Oberhaslis are groomed for breeding. GREENER PASTURE Beautiful, young, island-born Oberhaslis are groomed for breeding. At the Alaminos Goat Farm in Laguna, the top Oberhasli milker named Colby 464, had yielded an average of 4.5 liters of milk daily for the whole month of March this year. Since April up to now, it has been averaging 3.48 kilos daily. Colby is now in its second lactation. Its milk yield is considered very high for a small animal. Colby’s first daughter named OberLaR 172 is also doing very well. It is now in its first lactation and has been giving an average of 2.3 kilos of milk daily. This milk yield is considered exceptional for a first timer. Rene Almeda, who operates Alaminos Goat Farm (AGF) together with his sons Art and Toti, believes that Oberhasli is perfect for milk production under the hot climate of the Philippines. He has observed that right after the first Oberhasli goats arrived, they were able to immediately adapt themselves to the local weather. The Oberhasli buck at the Alaminos Goat farm; The Oberhasli buck at the Alaminos Goat farm; Goats love to eat the Indigofera, a legume that contains a lot of protein Goats love to eat the Indigofera, a legume that contains a lot of protein They easily adapted to the feeding system at AGF which is grazing them as well as feeding them with cut grass from their so-called Alaminos Salad Garden for goats. Under this system, the goats are fed with freshly cut grass from a field planted to selected forage crops like Indigofera, signal grass, mulberry, centrosema, and others. The latest addition is the highly-touted Pakchong 1 napier developed in Thailand. The Almedas are the recipients of what is called loan-in-kind that is also paid in kind. In July 2012, the Bureau of Animal Industry delivered to Alaminos Goat Farm 18 Oberhasli doelings and one buck under the so-called AGRIPBeS program. The acronym stands for “Accelerating the Genetic Resource Improvement Program for Beet Cattle and Small Ruminants.” AGRIPBeS was initiated by the BAI, funded by proceeds from the USPL 480 program of the US-AID. Out of the 18 does that the Almedas received, they have selected the top performers to form part of the foundation stock for their own Oberhasli Dairy Breed Improvement program. On their own, they also imported an expensive progeny of a champion buck from the United States to beef up their Oberhasli herd. Rene Almeda (center) is joined by visitors near the pelletizing machine Rene Almeda (center) is joined by visitors near the pelletizing machine In a planned breeding program, the top performing Colby 464 and its daughter, OberLar 172, will be bred to their prized import known by its long name OberBoerd Lead The Way. This is the designated herd sire for the top performing Oberhaslis at the AGF, according to Rene. Rene is very confident that by 2015, Alaminos Goat Farm will have established a strong foundation of well-bred, high-milking Oberhaslis. GOOD NUTRITION. Rene Almeda believes that aside from superior genetics, the key to successful dairy goat production is proper nutrition. Other goat raisers are taking a good look at the progress of the Alaminos Salad Garden feeding program with Indigofera as the main tree legume, Rene said. He explained that starting the newly weaned kids with fresh cuttings of Indigofera gives the weanlings an early start. AGF has also come up with pelletted goat’s ration with 30 percent shredded Indigofera. This results in healthy young kids with smooth and shiny hair coat, according to Rene. He further notes that when the kids are fed with Indigofera-based pellets, they don’t get diarrhea. And there has been no mortality among the kids fed with their pellet formulation. Pelleted ration has a very significant advantage. For one, the nutrients are uniformly available in the feed. If the feed is not pelleted, the goat may choose what it wants to eat among the feed materials supplied and it might not be able to get the balanced nutrition it needs. In the case of pellets, the right proportions are intact. Aside from the improved performance of the kids on pelleted feeds, there is also a big savings on the cost of feeds. Rene estimates that by adding 30 percent shredded Indigofera to the pellets, the cost of feed is reduced by at least 20 percent. At the Alaminos Goat Farm in the last two years, mortality was at an all-time low for the newly weaned kids. Diarrhea, which was a common problem for the young animals that are introduced to concentrates for the first time, is now a thing of the past. The addition of shredded Indigofera to the pellets solved it completely, according to Almeda. There you are. You might want to raise Oberhasli goats, too.

9 comments:

  1. Good Day,

    Are you in any kind of financial difficulties? Your help comes now.
    Are you having sleepless night worrying how to get a Loan?Don't allow
    your dreams to die, or are you looking for whom to trust or having you been scammed by INTERNET fraud stars, or you have been turned down by other financial company contact
    JOYCE MYERS LOAN COMPANY today for
    easy and reliable loan. Please you are to fill out this form showed
    below this email.{{{finance2014911@gmail.com }}}

    BORROWERS APPLICANT FORM
    Full Names:............
    Gender:....................
    Marital status:.........
    Contact Address:...........
    Country:........................
    State:..........................
    Age:...........................
    Monthly Income:..............
    Loan Amount:...................
    Duration of Loan:............
    Date Of Loan Needed:.............
    Weekly Income:....................
    Occupation:.........................
    Purpose for Loan:.................
    Phone Number:....................
    Personal Phone Number:.........
    Fax Number:......................
    How Did You Hear About This Company?........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. my name is Mrs.Rachel Alex from singapore few months back i was financially strained i rushed to my bank to apply for a loan to start up my business but i was denied by my bank because of my credit score and they could not help and due to my desperation i was scammed by several online lenders who promised to help me but at the end i was scam i lost my money and my hope because i was so frustrated, One day when i was going through the internet again i found one lender call Mrs.Irene Query i thought to give it a try one more time to my biggest surprise she was able to lend me a secure loan totally the amount of $300,000 for the first time in my life i realize that there are few lender who don't scam people her name is Mrs.Irene Query i will advice any body that are in need of loan to contact him with his Email (mrsirenequery@gmail.com) he can be able to help you because he was a God sent to me this year and i will never forget him for the help he render to me. contact him via email:(mrsirenequery@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you in need of a loan? Do you want to pay off your bills? Do you want to be financially stable? All you have to do is to contact us for more information on how to get started and get the loan you desire. This offer is open to all that will be able to repay back in due time. Note-that repayment time frame is negotiable and at interest rate of 3% just email us creditloan11@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MRS. IRENE QUERY FINANCE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN {mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    God bless you Mum, I will not stop telling the world about your kindness in my life, I am a single mum with kids to look after. My name is Mrs.Rachel Alex, and I am from Singapore . A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE, that they can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. I have been in a financial mess for the pass 7 months now,She advised I give it a try so I mailed her and explain all about my financial situation to her, she therefore took me through the loan process and gave me a loan of $180,000.00 at a very low interest rate of 3% and today I am a proud business owner and can now take good care of my kids, If you must contact any firm to get any amount of loan you need with a low interest rate of 3% and better repayment schedule, please contact MRS.IRENE QUERY FINANCE via email{mrsirenequery@gmail.com}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete